Wednesday, November 19, 2008

on the up and up.

Things have started to turn around a bit, I think. Although I am notorious for speaking too soon, I am excited about the job situation that I think I'm falling into. I picked up some shifts at the flower shop doing Christmas decorating and window displays, and have also started working for a chocolate shop that is opening in Germantown. It's called The Cocoa Tree, and I found out about it through my roommate, Joy, who is friends with the owner, Bethany.

I don't have much to write today. I'm happy I'm in Nashville. It has gotten really cold the past week or so. It's a different cold, though. It's nippy... not wet cold, like Seattle. It feels like Christmas.

Oh, Christmas! Keegan has invited me up to Indiana to spend Christmas with his family. I'm really excited about it, and glad that I won't be moping around here instead.


I really wish my camera hadn't been stolen right before the big move. I would love to be uploading all kinds of pictures. Urgh. Patience.

I finally made it to church on Sunday. I went with a friend who just moved here from Seattle. Her name's Linsey, and she's a real "hoot". We went to the Anchor. I really really enjoyed it. It's so much smaller than I'm used to, but there was something about it that I liked a lot. Of course, I can't make a call on if I'll end up there or not, but so far so good, and I plan on making it back there on Sunday. So far what I picked up from the Anchor that is different from Mars Hill is this:
- Mars Hill's mission is to reach out to Seattle, a city populated with people who may have never known Jesus.
- The Anchor is in Nashville, a city populated with people who at some point have had an experience with God. So from what I understand, it is trying to renew the hearts of Christians who have either gotten comfortable, complacent, have turned away, or have become involved in mixed-up theologies. It is trying to create authentic & genuine community again and renew real relationships with Jesus.

I am also excited to announce the first Trader Joe's in Nashville! It is everything it should be, except apparently Tennessee has a law about not allowing wine to be sold in a grocery store. So forget Charles Shaw. Poor decision, Tennessee. You really blew it.

This is a great brick wall painted downtown.

3 comments:

Jamie and Trevor said...

ugh! You're totally ditching me on CHRISTMAS! I'm sure you'll find some way to make it up to me. :)

ashlea. said...

No Chuck?!? Oh Elle, I would send you some but alas I am too poor to even send two buck chuck. maybe I'll get a Christmas Bonus or something, HAH!

NiTasha said...

i love the cocoa tree! i got so excited that they were starting again! =) i worked there a couple of times last christmas. sooo fun. i hope you love it!
miss you, lovely!