Tuesday, November 4, 2008

but seriously. yes we can.

No matter which party you represent, there is no denying the tremendous weight of what happened today. I was at my new home in Nashville eating fried chicken when I heard the words, "...and the new President of the United States of America will be Barack Obama". Personally, this is a huge deal for me because I have opened my heart and mind to the possibility that what I was brought up to believe isn't necessarily right... or wrong. I have the right to listen and study and decide for myself what I believe is the best for our country; the greatest in the world. For too long we have gotten comfortable and complacent. The past few years I have come to understand that if you are a Christian, you do not have the obligation to vote Republican. For me, this was a huge thing to swallow, and have not done the classic pastor's kid move of thinking and voting the most opposite possible. I am 25 years old, and I believe in a better, more progressive America. I noticed that a lot of people voting for John McCain didn't necessarily do it because they believe in John McCain, but because they just didn't want to see Obama win. I think everyone needs to re-evaluate what they stand for and why.

I did not vote.

I was absolutely all for McCain supporters if they KNEW what they were voting for, and was struggling with Obama supporters if they were going to vote for him only because it was the young thing to do.

Daniel 2:21-22

21 He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.

22 He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.


Be in prayer. Be diligent and respectful. Don't be an asshole.









"

4 comments:

Jon is a Typhoon! said...

yup

I agree with you wholeheartedly my dear friend... I was torn on so many issues, but i made my choice with knowledge and prayer.

Obama will do great things for america, we as citizens need to pray for him to make the best choice for us.

Miss you el!

melody said...

e--

i'm with you 100%. i dealt with the same issues and realizations this year, and i have had to deal with a lot of criticism from friends and family at home for my decision to not vote republican...i don't believe that you have to vote a certain way just because you are a christian, despite what i was raised to believe.

i had no problem with people voting for mccain, (like you said) as long as they had a legitimate, researched, educated reason for doing so (and the same goes for obama supporters). i do think, however, that some of the obama supporters were kinda creepy and cult-ish about it, although that wasn't his fault. haha. i did vote for obama this election after a lot of thought.

to hear people say that they are fearing for our country now to me is closed minded and completely negative. barack obama isn't the devil...he's just different from who we have had for the last 8 years. which is a good thing.

thanks for posting this ellen!

love you miss you!

xxoxoxo

Joel said...

I'm waiting for my tax cuts and free health care!!

Our nation is going to be tested now. Just this morning the president of Russia announced that they are going to begin building nuclear missiles again. It will be an interesting 6 months or so ahead of us.

katie henbest said...

well said lady. well said. Derek and i have been reading through Daniel. amazing stuff.