Sunday, November 16, 2008

murphy's law.

Many of you know that I have been struggling financially. This lifestyle is new for me, because I've always had a consistent well-paying job. I have had a temporary part-time job at a really great flower shop, then I got a permanent job at a company called Interlinc. Monday I was layed off from Interlinc due to them not being able to afford to keep me on staff. So back to square one. I have picked up a few shifts at the flower shop again, and might be doing some part-time work at a chocolate shop this weekend. Yesterday I received my first and only paycheck from Interlinc, and I was so relieved to be able to pay a few bills (car insurance, credit card, phone, etc.)
I went out last night with some friends and decided to leave the bar around 2:30 or so. My friend Dave walked me to my car... or where my car was... it had been towed. I called the number on the VERY HIDDEN sign on the building, and Dave and a couple friends drove me to the towing place. I got out of the car and said I'd have it under control and they could take off. I spoke too soon. I went to pay the $105, and their card machine wasn't working. Perfect. Where's the ATM? I was in the industrial district, and a shady bit at that. I walked a block to the only place that was open. A place claiming to be the biggest and best adult bookstore in the state of Tennessee. At this point, I was past being upset, and had started laughing hysterically somewhere between the impound and the book store. Books. Yeah, right. I walked in, laughing, put my fist in the air and shouted, "I'm going to spend some f***ing money in this establishment!". I figured if I'm just going to be throwing money away, I might as well have a better story to tell. I made a purchase of $11, thanked the man, sat outside on the steps trying to figure out what I would do. Luckily, my good friend Jonny Kingsbury was on his way to come pick me up. Yada yada, I picked up my car this morning. Almost got mauled by a pitbull in the impound yard, and I am now back where I started financially. It's comical. I will now check for lumps in my breasts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I won't say what you bought...

Stacey said...

Oh Ellen! Poor thing!!

One year when Daniel and I were down in Oly for Christmas I had been laid off from a nanny job and Daniel's car had been impounded from the apartment complex all in the same weekend.
When we went to see how much it was to get the car out it was almost $1,000!! More then the car was even WORTH! Plus, he lived in Kirkland and they towed it all the way up to EVERETT and you have to pay for the gas and mileage! It was such bullshit.

Lee Stoops said...

e, your humor is so refreshing. please, continue frequently writing...people like me need it.